Hey guys!
Okay, so you might be wondering what this title is about.. And why I don’t think Christ is “cool”. Allow me to explain.
This is a quote by Jon Foreman (since I’ve never talked about HIM before..), that I stumbled upon AGES ago, and honestly never really understood what exactly he meant by it.. Here it is:
“Christ will never be cool. Terrifying, life-changing, shocking, and iconoclastic, but never cool. Jesus is not my homeboy. The Gospel will always be “relevant” but never trendy.”
The Gospel will always be “relevant”, but not “trendy”? Jon, what the crap are you talking about, man?
Welp, since this is my blog, and I’m 99.9% sure he will never read this, (0.01%… Hi Jon!) I’m gonna go out on a limb, and explain my light on the situation.
As Christians, it is NOT our job to make Christ, “cool”. I think, sometimes, as Christians, we kind of… Distort Christianity. It’s like saying, “Hey, look! I’m a Christian! Jesus is my homeboy. Being a Christian is the cool thing to do.”
Sounds like you’re talking about Justin Bieber, or a new pair of TOMS, or a new app, doesn’t it? Like, being a Christian makes you “cool”. (This making sense?)
Being a Christian will NEVER be “cool”. It will never be “trendy”, nor any other expression you can come up with.
So this kind of brings up a new question.. “If being a Christian isn’t ‘cool’, what is it?”
Time to break things down a little:
Before you are a Christian, you are a sinner. Even after accepting Christ, you’re still a sinner.
BEING A CHRISTIAN IS NOT “COOL”. IT IS AN HONOR.
God sent His Son to die for YOU. Goodness, He didn’t even have to let Christianity exist. But guess what? He DID. He didn’t want you to remain a sinner. He wants a personal relationship with you. He loves you.
Sorry.. But that isn’t, “cool”. That’s love. Not cool. It’s real. Not something we fake to look cool. It’s LIFE-CHANGING.
See what I’m saying? Told you Jon Foreman was a genius.
ANYWAY.
Time for yet another question! (I’m full of ‘em today.)
Why am I talking about this?
1. I felt God wanted me to say this to you guys.
2. Jon Foreman is epic. He has epic quotes.
3. I want to encourage y’all as much as my 15-year-old-self possibly can.
Now, for the big question, that of course, I have to ask every post..
How does this apply to you?
Here’s another question, to answer the one above:
Is Jesus your homeboy, or your Savior?
Do you call yourself a Christian so you can say, “Yep, I’m a Christian”?
Do you say you love Jesus because you think it will make you “cool” to your Christian friends?
Are you saying you follow Christ JUST to be cool?
Or..
Do you say you love Jesus, because you ARE? Would you do ANYTHING for Christ, if He asked you, because you love Him more than life itself, and because He gave it all for you first?
So, I think I’ll repeat the question, and leave you to think on it..
Is Jesus your homeboy, or your Savior?
Remember, as Jon Foreman once said..
Christ will never be cool.
Peace, love, faith and Switchfoot,
Allie.
No comments:
Post a Comment