For the last couple weeks, I’ve been reading “not a fan”, by Kyle Idleman. I’ve got 2 or 3 more chapters to go, but I can safely say it’s changed my whole perspective on being a Christian. Thus, this blog is existent. And incase you don’t know what the book is about, it basically asks the question, are you a follower or fan. Relationship vs Religion.
Alright, so I said that one. Relationship vs Religion. So I’ll explain what I mean by it.
There is no true Religion, without a Relationship. Does that make sense? I’ll break it down:
Being a Follower, is not something you do on a certain day of the week. It’s not a moment you are dunked in a pool and poof, you’re a Christian. It’s not something you say. It’s not a verse you recite. It’s not even an action you’ve done.
A relationship, starts between you, and Christ. Without that relationship, there is nothing. You can’t be halfway Christian. You can’t follow some of Jesus. He’s not asking you to carry your cross when it’s most convenient.
Jesus is inviting you to have a relationship with Him. The Creator of everything, Maker of all, wants a relationship with YOU, and wants your heart. A relationship goes both ways. He wants you, and is pursuing you with all that He is.
“Oh really?”, you say?
He died on a cross for you. He gave it all. ALL. Everything. He had everything. And He put it all on that cross, to have a relationship with YOU.
I gotta say.. If that isn’t love, I don’t know what is.
So are you in for a religion, or relationship?
Are you just following some rules that you’ve been told to your whole life? Or are you FOLLOWING Christ? Trust me, there is a difference.
Alright, I’m just gonna be 100% honest with you guys..
For the first almost 10 years of being a Christian, I wasn’t really… Living, as a Christian. I was raised going to church, learning my verses. But I didn’t really get WHY I did all that. Does that sorta make sense? And yes, I know I was a kid, but I don’t feel age is an excuse as to where my relationship was with Christ. God used kids TONS of times in The Bible.
But now, alas, I am not a kid. I’ll be 16 next week (holy crap..). To those of you who are perhaps more experienced in life, may feel I’m still a kid. Technically, I am. Do I feel like a kid? Far from it.
And now this is the part of the show where Allie comes out and sings, a silly song.
OH WHEEEERE IS MY HAIRBRUSH.
Sorry. I’m done now.
This is actually the part where I throw my personal life into it. Here goes..
My sister, Audrey, has completely changed me as a person. And yes, she is in fact 2 years old.
So I’m sure you’re wondering…
Why has the baby changed your life? And what does it have to do with anything?
Let me explain.
I’m sure I’ve probably shared this with y’all before, but the day Audrey was born was the day I felt like I had REALLY become a Christian.
And incase I haven’t explained it before, I suppose I’ll make it short and sweet.
Prior to my sister being born, I had never been away from my mom for a night. Like, ever. (don’t hate. I was like, 12. And props to those who are also not allowed to go to sleepovers.)
So honestly, the night my mom was gone, I felt completely alone.
So, since I had seen on VeggieTales that “God is bigger than the boogie man”, I thought I’d give reading my Bible a go.
I opened up to Psalm 33:18 (I promise, it was out of sheet coincidence, and out of God’s rad idea that I came across this verse.)
“But the Lord watches over those who fear Him; those who rely on his unfailing love.”
I cannot express in words, like, how I felt that God was there. Like… Just the feeling that God was there, and that He WANTED that relationship with me, was just mind blowing.
And onto the other reason Audrey has changed me.
Audrey, is now 2. She can get a little cranky, I can’t deny, but the way she loves is unlike any love I’ve ever seen. Though she is a bit of a control freak (sorry Audrey), she puts her COMPLETE hope and trust in me, my parents and my brother. It’s pretty incredible. She doesn’t know where she’s going (well, she sorta does, but you get the idea), but she trusts us that we know best. And man.. I think the best part about babies are the hugs and kisses. Sometimes she’ll just come up to me, give me a hug and say, “I wuv yew Ayyie.”
Jesus tells us to become like children. And I understand that now. He wants us to humble ourselves SO much, that we put our complete hope, trust and love in Him.
He wants a relationship with you. And to be honest, going to church on Sunday or praying before meals or on holidays doesn’t make a relationship.
He wants to love you like a child. You ARE HIS child. He wants more then a religion. He wants a relationship.
One of my favorite quotes, probably on the planet, is by Chad Butler, the most glorious drummer on the planet, along with one of my favorite people ever. Oh, and he’s in Switchfoot. :)
“There is a big difference between blind faith and honest faith. I was raised in the church. I have had to wrestle with what it is I believe outside of my friends and family. An honest faith is one that wrestles with doubts and hard questions. As I was growing up, I was afraid to question what I had been taught. I feared the outcome if I were to really question the beliefs I had inherited. What I found was in the moments I expressed my doubts and searched out the truth, I actually drew closer to the faith. I realized it was deeper than religion.”
That, right there.. I honestly feel like I don’t need to say anything. I’ll let it speak for itself, and let you think on it.
So I think I’m gonna wrap up, leave you with this question..
Are you following a religion, or in a relationship?
Peace, Love, Faith and Switchfoot,
Allie.
No comments:
Post a Comment