Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Fame.

Hi friends!

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about fame. How much we value fame, and all that.
I got on the topic when I was talking about it to a friend the other day, when I was talking about a few celebrities who have kind of.. gone down hill. I suppose I shan't spit out any names, just so I don't get sued, but there are certain celebrities who have chosen fame above God.
That.
Is.
Not.
Okay.
At all.
.......
For some reason, society values fame.. well, really high. If you're famous, everyone knows who you are. I mean, if I say, George Clooney or Oprah, you're most likely going to know exactly who I'm talking about. When you're famous, you become a household name. A lot of people love you. (And think you're hot, if you're George Clooney.. But he's not my type. But we won't get into that.) Anyways. This question has been floating around in my head for days now..

"Why choose fame over God?"

Hmm.

Good question there. Time to come up with my best answer. When we care more about fame, we are putting ourselves VERY FIRST. Above all else, you HAVE to keep your reputation amazing. Can't screw up. Gotta look great. Me. me. me. me. me.
You get the point.
A personal motto for myself, since I was a kid in AWANA, has been JOY:
J-esus
O-thers
Y-ourself.

And I hate to break it to you, but YOJ isn't a word. Putting yourself first is not how it should be. Life is not about fame.

Since I'm legit and what-not, I started writing a song about this whole subject. And one line, the first line in the chorus, fits perfectly here:
Fame is temporary gain.
Fame IS temporary. It doesn't last. Fame is kind of like climbing a tree - it's fun while you climb, and when you reach the top, you feel like you rule the whole world.
But.
You gotta get down from that tree. Whether you get down, or fall off, you won't stay on it forever.
Mark 8:36, I believe, is perfectly appropriate:
"And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your soul?"
I know, you're probably thinking: "HEY! THAT'S A TOBYMAC SONG! OHSNAPCRACKLEPOP". But it came from the Bible first, right? Right. Onto what I was saying.

Do you want to lose your SOUL for FAME? A temporary high?

I wouldn't.

Since I'm looking pretty prissy and perfect at the moment, time to humble myself a little bit. I can't say I wouldn't want to be famous. Wait, don't jump to conclusions yet, please.
If I were famous, I would want to do it for God's glory, not mine. I mean, I want to be NOT famous for God's glory!

Fame is temporary gain. In the long run, it could matter less.
At the end, when I stand face-to-face with God, I want to be filled with JOY.

Strive to be Joyful.

J-esus
O-thers
Y-ourself.

thanks for reading. :)

Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control,

-Allie.

No comments:

Post a Comment